Job Import API
SmashFly offers a RESTFUL API that allows customers to add, update, and delete jobs in their SmashFly Recruitment Marketing Platform. This REST method expects an HTTP POST to the provided REST URL.
Before you implement the SmashFly Job Import API as your job acquisition method, please review the recommendations and requirements for testing the API, the Job API data scope, field mappings, and other vital information.
When planning what data to send in the Job Import API, work with SmashFly Technical Services to ensure that you are including the required data for driving both job marketing execution and job marketing analysis. Data can also be sent to both Standard and Custom fields, and Intellipost Configuration can be leveraged to populate default and supplementary data.
While the Job Import API offers flexibility in the data that you choose to send, it does require that certain fields are included in all API calls; for details about these requirements, refer to Standard Job Fields.
The data sent to SmashFly may be used for all of the following:
- Driving Job Seeker understanding of the job details and ensuring that those details are visible on the SmashFly-hosted Career Site (for example, Remote Job Yes/No)
- Automating postings (for example, Job Category used to post only IT jobs to Dice)
- Slicing and dicing job Marketing Metrics (for example, a custom field for Department to help measure requisition metrics for a certain part of the Organization)
- Enabling filtering of jobs within the SmashFly User Interface by end users (for example, Recruiter Name to help recruiters find their own jobs in SmashFly)
Note: Though multiple jobs can (and should, where applicable) be submitted in each call, the API may not be used for frequent “full feeds” of job data. The API is intended to be used for incremental “delta” data, sent either in real time or at scheduled intervals from a client’s job source system (for example, the Applicant Tracking System).
Adding, Updating, and Deleting Jobs
When a job is sent through the API with an action of "Add" or "Update," SmashFly first evaluates whether the job exists in SmashFly. If the job already exists — regardless of the job action — SmashFly will update the existing job. If the job does not exist, it will create a new job with the data supplied.
With "Save as new" jobs (which create child jobs that inherit the base job ID of the original [parent] job), customers can market jobs that exist once in the Applicant Tracking System (ATS) in more than one way through SmashFly. The most common use cases for Save as new/child jobs include:
- Marketing a job with more than one job title for A/B job marketing metrics comparisons
- Marketing a job that is open to hiring in more than one physical location
Save as New/ Child jobs can be created manually by end users or when multi-location jobs by ZIP code functionality is being leveraged. When a job ID is pushed through the API, the API (with the assistance of an Admin setting) enables API actions that affect the original (parent) job to affect the child jobs as well, unless a Client Admin setting (configured by your SmashFly Technical Services Consultant) is turned off. As long as that setting is enabled, however, API actions have the following effects:
- If a Delete is pushed through the API, both the parent and child jobs will be deactivated.
- If an Update is pushed through the API, the updates (with the exception of location fields and the custom field used for multi-location by ZIP code functionality) will apply to both parent and child jobs.
- If a parent job is reactivated via Add or Update, both the parent and child jobs will be reactivated.
Preparing to Implement the API
You will need to work closely with your SmashFly Technical Services Consultant to define the data that you want to send in the API. To familiarize yourself with the processes, review the following information:
- SmashFly Standard and Custom Job fields
- API Business Rules
- Sample XML
- Steps the SmashFly Technical Services Consultant will take to prepare for testing
- Information you'll need to provide for go-live
- Job Import Email